1.08.2008

10 random comments before the sky falls on me

1) My office space sucks. I have a new office, true, and it is much larger and grander and more private than my previous office. But it doesn't change the fact that my new office only serves as a metaphor for the state of my company. Currently, I sit in my office with five waste cans collecting drips from the leaky ceiling sixteen feet overhead. Yesterday, I heard a loud boom. When I walked down the hallway I discovered a chunk of concrete, probably the size of a fist, shattered across a desk. Granted, no one was sitting at the desk, because no one sits in that hallway anymore, because my company laid off all of my co-workers in editorial and production. But if my former co-worker would have been sitting at her desk, she probably would have been knocked unconscious by the blow. Just minutes ago, a much smaller piece of concrete fell in the loft space in my office. Luckily for me, my new office is in a different part of our converted warehouse. I have ceiling tiles above me -- many of them stained and leaky -- which in theory would break the fall of any large chunks of concrete. In three spots, however, there are no ceiling tiles. Those just happen to be the spots that drip into my office, and from where my piece of the ceiling came crashing down. That, in a nutshell, best explains the place where I am employed. And every time it rains I am reminded of the symbolism.

2) But it's not just at work that I get to enjoy drips when it rains. It happens at home, too. Every time it rains heavily, I can expect drippage in my records room, either from the center skylight or directly above where my records and stereo sit. That means I have to cover my stereo with a towel (just in case) and also lay towels on the wood floor in front of my IKEA shelving. The landlord is fixing these leaks for the second time -- "when it gets dry up there" -- most likely in June. It also leaks in the living room, as water travels down the stove pipe that penetrates the ceiling and collects on top of the stove. So a bowl sits there to collect water on mornings like this. (At least M and I have finally enjoyed the stove for its true purpose -- keeping us warm on 10 degree nights. But it doesn't do us much good on 60-degree evenings in January, like the last two nights.)

3) I started tennis lessons last night at the park district. When I showed up it was just me and my friend and occasional tennis opponent E signed up for the lessons (intermediate level, if you're curious). Shortly thereafter, a couple walked in and our group doubled in size. So far so good on the progress, but the lessons are moving at a slightly faster pace than I had hoped for (especially given the size of the group). There's not enough one-on-one teaching of mechanics. Clearly, the things I know I need to work on -- backhand, volleys at the net -- are my faults. The instructor did say I have the best overhand volley (i.e. "smash") that he's seen in his instructing of intermediate level groups, which is funny because I typically fuck those up in game action. But it's a motion (leaping and smacking the racket down) that feels normal to me, I guess from my time playing basketball. And I can deliver a great overhand volley when the element of surprise is taken away, like when the instructor lobs the ball high into the air for practice. I'm beginning to understand how crucial (in inches) the ball toss is to my serve clearing the net. I need more height on my toss. The instructor also said I should be able to get more slice on my serves from the ad side as I'm a lefty, so hopefully he'll teach me how to do that.

4) I've had a cold now for 3+ weeks. My visit to the doctor's office did not produce a prescription for an antibiotic, which pissed me off. That was well over a week ago. Maybe I should go back, cough in hand, and be more forceful?

5) The holidays were busy, filled with family and recently lots of friends. It was good visiting with everyone, but I'm glad that M and I have our lives to ourselves for a bit. It's nice to begin to settle back into our groove.

6) Speaking of settling, we still have not watched the first episode of The Wire (Season 5). That will change tonight.

7) I'm fairly certain that no one is reading the sports posts at SP, let alone my specific posts. But that doesn't mean I'm going to refrain from linking to them and encouraging you to do so. I didn't expect a sports section at such a site to be all that well read, but I did hope that someone out there would feel the need to check in regularly and leave a comment. As a site, we need to begin the process of earnestly publicizing ourselves to the community at large. A sticker campaign ain't gonna cut it.

8) M got me this game for Xmas. I'm anxious to set aside a few chunks of time to play it. I've chosen the school I'm going to "coach" -- my alma mater, WIU -- and begun play (I'm 1-2). It's a lot more complicated than the last college basketball game I played many years ago. The recruiting process is interesting, if not a bit much to keep tabs on.

9) I found a gem while shopping at Furniture Lounge this weekend: a copy of Prefab Sprout's Steve McQueen on vinyl for $2. I had never heard the band before, and after listening to one side I'm not so sure I'm into it. But nonetheless, it was a great find on the cheap.

10) Finally, I've decided that within a couple months I will own one of these:

1 comment:

Stef said...

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but no antibiotics for colds. Colds are viruses, not bacterial infections, so antibiotics won't do a darn thing except make you a wee bit more antibiotic resistant. Take your echinacea and I hope you are feeling better and that large chunks of plaster have not caved you in.