6.04.2006

YouTube: The Jam on Marc Bolan's TV show

So I've fallen for YouTube. Hanging with my friend Jon this weekend, we spent an hour or so checking out a variety of music videos and live footage from an array of bands. It's amazing what you can find on there -- and the amount of rare footage is sure to go up as YouTube gains popularity -- so I'm going to share some of my favorites with you.

Here's The Jam performing "All Around the World" on Marc Bolan's after-school variety show. I'm guessing this dates back to late spring/early summer, 1977, just a few months after The Jam's debut album In the City was released, and a few months before Bolan died in an automobile accident.

What better way for Marc to get the kiddies attention as TV host than with a leopard-print jumpsuit? And you gotta love the synchronized kick between Bruce and Paul. Also note that drummer Rick Buckler fucks up the ending of the song by coming up empty on a drumstick toss.

No comments: