5.05.2006

Working for the weekend

Or, in my case, not working for the weekend. Friday afternoons are always tough to slog through at work, especially when you've got the new Yo La Tengo disc, Murdering the Classics, blaring through the laptop's puny speakers. I'll post a highlight or two from it next week.

A few random notes to touch on:

1) I'm 2-for-4 on the young softball season, but the SP Sluggers are 0-2. Actually, we've been murdered so far, losing by a combined 26 runs in two games! That explains why I've only been to the plate four times in two games, despite being the leadoff hitter. (Yikes!) I do have a double and a run scored to my credit, though. I scored our only run in our second game. Needless to say, softball practice is in our team's immediate future.

2) The Cards travel to Miami this weekend for a series against the Marlins. Hopefully we can break our four-game losing streak. We haven't had one of those in a loooooong while. Free Adam Wainwright!

3) Check this tidbit out: Schaumburg assigned the contract of right-handed pitcher Nigel Thatch to Fullerton of the Golden Baseball League in exchange for 1 pallet (60 cases) of Budweiser beer. I couldn't make this up if I tried. (Scroll down to May 1.) Gotta love independent league baseball -- keepin' it real! We don't need no stinkin' steroids. Now, beer, on the other hand...

4) The other day I ran across a small stash of baseball cards from my youth that I had set aside because they were some of my favorite (named) players. I'm gonna scan a few of them in and share them with you. They're too awesome to keep to myself.

No comments: